Dr Brendan Belsham
MBBCh (Wits) FCPsych (SA) MMed (Psych) (Wits) Cert Child Psych (SA)
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Pr No. 0031615
Dr Belsham has been in private practice in Johannesburg since 2000 and recently published his first book, What’s the fuss about ADHD?
From 2001 to 2003 he worked in a consultant post in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of the Witwatersrand, as part of the postgraduate child psychiatry training programme. This entailed involvement in multidisciplinary child psychiatry teams and pioneering a child psychiatry clinic in the Orange Farm area.
- awarded the Kurt Gillis Memorial Prize in psychiatry in 1993
- obtained the degree of MBBCh in 1994
- admitted as a Fellow of the College of Psychiatrists of South Africa in October 1999
- awarded the degree of Master of Medicine in Psychiatry in November 2000
- the joint recipient of the Louis Franklin Freed Prize for the most distinguished postgraduate student for the Master of Medicine degree in Psychiatry
- obtained the Certificate in Child Psychiatry (SA), in October 2003
His special interests include early parenting, attachment, ADHD, childhood bipolar disorder, autism and anxiety disorders.
Dr Belsham is married with 4 children.